The San Francisco 49ers fall in back-to-back games as they couldn’t handle the Indianapolis Colts in week three of the preseason.
Alfred Morris easily stole the show during his time on the field. The running game woes disappeared when Morris was on the field as he was too much for the Colts defense. An 84-yard day on the ground on 17 carries certainly shows what he can bring to the team. Add on the runs that were negated due to penalties and Morris could’ve looked even better on the stat sheet.
Richie James was the 49ers leading receiver today. James caught three passes for 62 yards, including a 42-yard catch-and-run where he showed off some blazing speed. James also got some reps with the special teams unit, where he had a 26-yard kick return and a six-yard punt return.
Fred Warner is going to be good for this 49ers defense. In his time today, Warner made five tackles including a tackle-for-loss. With Reuben Foster out with a concussion and dealing with a suspension for the first two games, we should see Warner fill his role.
Robbie Gould was there to score when the 49ers couldn’t convert in the red zone. Gould connected on all three of his field goal points, providing nine of the teams’ 17 points.
Latest From FPC on SportsCastr
- Jimmy Garoppolo hit Pierre Garcon for a 47-yard catch and run.
- Richie James had a 42-yard catch and run as mentioned earlier.
- Nick Mullens threw a 35-yard pass along the sidelines to Aldrick Robinson, which was his only catch. The drive would be followed by a Mullens rushing touchdown.
- Jeremiah Attaochu sacked Andrew Luck early in the first. There could’ve been more sacks but the defense just couldn’t finish off the play.
- Richard Sherman broke up the only pass that came his way.
- Dante Pettis was quiet in the receiving aspect of the game, but delivered a 21-yard punt return.
What Can Be Improved
- The red zone offense has to perform better. The starters moved the ball very well, especially with Morris on the ground, but stalled in the red zone. At one point, Garoppolo tried to hit Trent Taylor on back-to-back plays but both could’ve been intercepted.
- The dropped passes were frustrating and it reminded me a lot of last season. Garrett Celek and Raheem Mostert were victims of this. Cole Hikutini also couldn’t hang on to a seam pass by Garoppolo that would’ve resulted in a touchdown.
- The 49ers defense could’ve had way more than one sack in this game but they let the quarterback slip away from them almost every single time. You just can’t miss those opportunities and it cost them.
The 49ers close out the preseason next Thursday when they take on the Los Angeles Chargers.
🚨 TODAY ONLY, 50% OFF 🚨— Full Press Coverage (@FPCoverage) August 23, 2019
Check out all the latest shirts from the #FPC Store powered by @DSGNTree and save 50% on your order!!
🔴USE CODE: FRIDAY50
‘The Power Sweep’ - https://t.co/3npptBGkYh
‘The Leg’ - https://t.co/pyeFSpoMrB
Full Inventory - https://t.co/pS6VA9Ryvp pic.twitter.com/FwTbDztL19