In Minnesota, it still begins and ends with defense.
The Vikings forced four turnovers—one of them a Pick 6 from rookie defensive back Mike Hughes—to beat the San Francisco 49ers 24-16 Sunday.
Hughes’ interception put the Vikings up 17-3 early in the third quarter.
Vikings’ quarterback Kirk Cousins took care of the ball, going 20-36 with two touchdowns—a 22-yard strike to Stefon Diggs early in the second quarter and a late third-quarter, 11-yard toss to Kyle Rudolph which gave the Vikings a 24-6 lead.
Thanks to Minnesota’s ineffective fourth quarter offense (three straight three plays-and-out possessions) the 49ers made a push in the fourth quarter, but could only muster the third of Robbie Gould’s field goals.
While rookie Hughes made the defensive splash play in the first half, it was veteran safety Harrison Smith who made the big plays in the second half: a third-down sack of 49’ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo and an interception after the two-minute warning to end suspense.
In addition to an interception, Smith made eight tackles; two of those tackles were for losses. Xavier Rhodes also picked off a Garoppolo pass in the second half.
The Vikings defense made a huge play late in first half. Down 10-3, San Francisco went on a 14-play drive in the second quarter, but Linval Joseph forced a fumble at the Minnesota 1-yard line to end the threat.
Roger Dier covers the Vikings for Full Press Coverage and is also the managing editor of NHL content for FPC. Follow him on Twitter @dierstraits.com
Harrison Smith: Jason Getz-USA TODAY Sports
*Latest Vikings News
- Reminiscing On Colts’ Preseason Predictions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Secure Home Field
- Chiefs Opinion: Eric Berry Can Save Chiefs Defense
- Chiefs-Chargers Recap: Chargers Comeback, Stun Chiefs
- NFL Draft: Players to Watch in Saturday’s Bowl Games
- Chiefs-Ravens Recap: Resilient Rally In OT
- Chiefs-Ravens Preview: Something’s Got To Give
- FPC Buccaneers Round Table: Can Dirk Koetter Save His Job?
- Chiefs Sign Kelvin Benjamin
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Seven-Round 2019 Mock Draft
- Matchup Breakdown: Los Angeles Rams vs Detroit Lions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Get Back On Track
- Chiefs-Rams Recap: Monday Night Madness
- Chiefs-Rams Preview: Game of the Year?
- Chiefs-Cardinals Preview: Take Care of the Birds
- Chiefs-Browns Recap: Cleveland Boys Takedown Browns
- Chiefs-Browns Preview: Take Care of Business
- Chiefs-Broncos Preview: Another Division Rivalry Sweep?
- Chiefs Week 7: Three Up, Two Down
- Three Up, Three Down- Chiefs-Patriots
- Chiefs-49ers Preview: The Home Opener Has Arrived
- Chiefs-Chargers Preview: Turning Out the Bolts
- Chiefs Defensive Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Packers
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Bears
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Falcons
- Chiefs Offensive Line: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Texans
- Chiefs Tight Ends: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Wide Receivers: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Running Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Defense
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Offense
- 2018 Chiefs Draft Review: KC Addresses the Defense and Needs
- Our Newest Titan: Rashaan Evans
- 2018 Kansas City Chiefs Schedule
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Parry Nickerson
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Dorance Armstrong Jr.
- Chiefs Complete More Signings
- Chiefs Officially Release Tamba Hali and Ron Parker
- Chiefs Ink Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens
- NFL Free Agent Tracker (Live Updates)
- Chiefs Free Agent Targets: Backup Quarterback
- Jacksonville Jaguars Eye Familiar Faces in Free Agency
- Saints Free Agency: Tight Ends
- Saints Free Agency: Offensive Line
- This Or That: Derrick Johnson Or Tamba Hali?
- It’d Be Nuts To Re-Sign Rask, Halak Now … And Other Bruins Thoughts