The Montreal Canadiens finished with a woeful record of 29-40-13 and 71 points. This placed les habitants 28thout of 31 teams. The fall was fast for the Canadiens, who won the Atlantic Division two seasons ago.
Additions: At the 2018 draft, Montreal selected Jesperi Kotkaniemi with the third overall pick. In addition, the Canadiens brought back Tomas Plekanec as an unrestricted free agent and also signed Matthew Peca, Xavier Ouellet, Kenny Agostino, and Michael Chaput.
Trades: The Canadiens traded their captain, Max Pacioretty, to the Vegas Golden Knights for Tomas Tatar, prospect Nick Suzuki, and a 2019 second-round pick. They also sent Alex Galchenyuk to the Arizona Coyotes for Max Domi. Simon Bourque went to the Winnipeg Jets for Joel Armia, Steve Mason, a 2019 seventh-round pick, and a 2020 fourth-round pick. The Canadiens later bought out Mason and re-signed Armia as a restricted free agent. Lastly, the Habs acquired Hunter Shinkaruk from the Calgary Flames for Kerby Rychel.
Carey Price and Brendan Gallagher (cover photo) are return for Montreal. Price, 31, had his worst NHL season with a 3.11 goals against average, a .900 save percent, and a 16-26-7 record. Price enters the first year of his eight-year, $84 million contract extension, which he signed in 2017. Gallagher, 26, established a career year last season. He led the team in points with 54 in 82 games.
Noah Juulsen, 21, and Victor Mete, 20, are two prospects to watch. Both defensemen have big futures with Montreal. They also have a great opportunity to gain experience this season, especially with Shea Weber sidelined.
What to Expect
Trading Pacioretty sent a clear message that Montreal is rebuilding this season. Although their future is brighter with more prospects in their system than before, the quality of talent on their team has diminished. Expect the Canadiens to be prime candidates to finish last in the Atlantic Division this season.
Cover Photo: Lisa Gansky, New York, NY
Billy Morrison covers the Ottawa Senators and the NHL’s Atlantic Division for Full Press Coverage. Follow Billy on Twitter @BillyMorrison01.
- Reminiscing On Colts’ Preseason Predictions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Secure Home Field
- Chiefs Opinion: Eric Berry Can Save Chiefs Defense
- Chiefs-Chargers Recap: Chargers Comeback, Stun Chiefs
- NFL Draft: Players to Watch in Saturday’s Bowl Games
- Chiefs-Ravens Recap: Resilient Rally In OT
- Chiefs-Ravens Preview: Something’s Got To Give
- FPC Buccaneers Round Table: Can Dirk Koetter Save His Job?
- Chiefs Sign Kelvin Benjamin
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Seven-Round 2019 Mock Draft
- Matchup Breakdown: Los Angeles Rams vs Detroit Lions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Get Back On Track
- Chiefs-Rams Recap: Monday Night Madness
- Chiefs-Rams Preview: Game of the Year?
- Chiefs-Cardinals Preview: Take Care of the Birds
- Chiefs-Browns Recap: Cleveland Boys Takedown Browns
- Chiefs-Browns Preview: Take Care of Business
- Chiefs-Broncos Preview: Another Division Rivalry Sweep?
- Chiefs Week 7: Three Up, Two Down
- Three Up, Three Down- Chiefs-Patriots
- Chiefs-49ers Preview: The Home Opener Has Arrived
- Chiefs-Chargers Preview: Turning Out the Bolts
- Chiefs Defensive Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Packers
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Bears
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Falcons
- Chiefs Offensive Line: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Texans
- Chiefs Tight Ends: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Wide Receivers: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Running Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Defense
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Offense
- 2018 Chiefs Draft Review: KC Addresses the Defense and Needs
- Our Newest Titan: Rashaan Evans
- 2018 Kansas City Chiefs Schedule
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Parry Nickerson
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Dorance Armstrong Jr.
- Chiefs Complete More Signings
- Chiefs Officially Release Tamba Hali and Ron Parker
- Chiefs Ink Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens
- NFL Free Agent Tracker (Live Updates)
- Chiefs Free Agent Targets: Backup Quarterback
- Chicago Bears: Team Makes First Move To Add Salary Cap Space
- How Can You Not “Love The Drake?”
- Giants Free-Agency Targets: CB Ronald Darby
- Raiders Opinion: Focusing on the Wrong
- WWE Raw Results, Grades & Opinion: March 1, 2021