The Anaheim Ducks went 44-25-13 for 101 points last season landing them in second place in the Pacific Division; Anaheim’s fifth consecutive 100-point season. In the playoffs, the Ducks were swept in the opening round to the hands of their rivals from San Jose.
Sustr and Schenn give the Ducks a solid back end replacing Beauchemin and Bieksa and that should make the defense more formidable. Plus, Rowney replaces JT Brown, so the depth may have gotten better with these additions.
The same old crew is back in Anaheim with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf (cover photo, Perry on left, Getzlaf on right) leading the charge as the Ducks look to bounce back after a stunning sweep to San Jose in last year’s playoffs. Also in the fold are John Gibson, Hampus Lindholm, Cam Fowler, Josh Manson, Rickard Rakell, Ryan Kesler and Adam Henrique.
Max Jones, the Ducks’ 2016 first-round choice, may be a mid-season call up if there is an injury to the forward group. He is a big guy who plays with an edge and has some skill to complement it.
What to Expect
I expect the Ducks to be in the division race again; they lost no key contributors during the offseason except maybe Antoine Vermette but his loss should not sting all that much. I think this will be the sixth straight season that the Ducks eclipse the 100 points plateau and a Stanley Cup berth. If they make the playoffs, the Ducks’ average age may hurt them with better and faster teams waiting to play them. Potential playoff opponents like the Kings (Ilya Kovalchuk) or Sharks (Erik Karlsson) have added key players this offseason.
-Kevin Gesterling covers the Pacific Division in the NHL’s Western Conference for Full Press Coverage. You can reach him on Twitter @kgesterling1_FPC.
- Reminiscing On Colts’ Preseason Predictions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Secure Home Field
- Chiefs Opinion: Eric Berry Can Save Chiefs Defense
- Chiefs-Chargers Recap: Chargers Comeback, Stun Chiefs
- NFL Draft: Players to Watch in Saturday’s Bowl Games
- Chiefs-Ravens Recap: Resilient Rally In OT
- Chiefs-Ravens Preview: Something’s Got To Give
- FPC Buccaneers Round Table: Can Dirk Koetter Save His Job?
- Chiefs Sign Kelvin Benjamin
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Seven-Round 2019 Mock Draft
- Matchup Breakdown: Los Angeles Rams vs Detroit Lions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Get Back On Track
- Chiefs-Rams Recap: Monday Night Madness
- Chiefs-Rams Preview: Game of the Year?
- Chiefs-Cardinals Preview: Take Care of the Birds
- Chiefs-Browns Recap: Cleveland Boys Takedown Browns
- Chiefs-Browns Preview: Take Care of Business
- Chiefs-Broncos Preview: Another Division Rivalry Sweep?
- Chiefs Week 7: Three Up, Two Down
- Three Up, Three Down- Chiefs-Patriots
- Chiefs-49ers Preview: The Home Opener Has Arrived
- Chiefs-Chargers Preview: Turning Out the Bolts
- Chiefs Defensive Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Packers
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Bears
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Falcons
- Chiefs Offensive Line: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Texans
- Chiefs Tight Ends: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Wide Receivers: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Running Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Defense
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Offense
- 2018 Chiefs Draft Review: KC Addresses the Defense and Needs
- Our Newest Titan: Rashaan Evans
- 2018 Kansas City Chiefs Schedule
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Parry Nickerson
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Dorance Armstrong Jr.
- Chiefs Complete More Signings
- Chiefs Officially Release Tamba Hali and Ron Parker
- Chiefs Ink Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens
- NFL Free Agent Tracker (Live Updates)
- Chiefs Free Agent Targets: Backup Quarterback
- Who’s the Best Fit? Jets have Options at Pick No. 3
- Patriots Draft Profile: Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama
- Draft Day Scenarios for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Wrestling Roundup: April 23, 2019
- Raiders Draft: The Case for Hollywood Brown