The Las Vegas Golden Knights’ improbable run to the Stanley Cup finals in their first year of existence ended after five games with the Washington Capitals.
Additions: Luca Sbisa-D
The Golden Knights signed winger William Karlsson (cover photo) just before he was scheduled to go to an arbitration hearing. Though the contract is only for one year, Karlsson said he’s, “Happy it got done.” The contract includes a significant pay raise from his existing $1 million contract.
Expect Karlsson to continue to flourish in head coach Gerard Gallant’s offensive system. The Golden Nights get plenty of opportunities in Gallant’s high-pressure, disciplined system. This system allowed the young players to adjust to the speed of the NHL game at their own pace while also allowing the stars of the team to shine.
What to Expect
The fact that defenseman Nate Schmidt is suspended for the first 20 games of the season after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs clearly hinders the Golden Knights. The suspension means the rest of the Golden Knights’ defensive corps needs to perform better than they did last season.
Though defense was thought to be a position of strength heading into the new season, the Knights are thin because of a looming holdout by Shea Theodore, who, along with Brayden McNabb, formed a pair that consistently stymied offenses last year. This is not an ideal situation. However, Gallant and his staff have a year’s experience with the team’s younger defensemen. Those younger players will have to step up.
Cover Photo Credit: Chase Stevens, Las Vegas Review-Journal Andrew Walsh covers the NHL's Atlantic Division for Full Press Coverage. Follow Andrew on Twitter at @walsha89.
- Chiefs-49ers Preview: The Home Opener Has Arrived
- Chiefs-Chargers Preview: Turning Out the Bolts
- Chiefs Defensive Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Packers
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Bears
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Falcons
- Chiefs Offensive Line: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Texans
- Chiefs Tight Ends: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Wide Receivers: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Running Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Defense
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Offense
- 2018 Chiefs Draft Review: KC Addresses the Defense and Needs
- Our Newest Titan: Rashaan Evans
- 2018 Kansas City Chiefs Schedule
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Parry Nickerson
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Dorance Armstrong Jr.
- Chiefs Complete More Signings
- Chiefs Officially Release Tamba Hali and Ron Parker
- Chiefs Ink Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens
- NFL Free Agent Tracker (Live Updates)
- Chiefs Free Agent Targets: Backup Quarterback
- San Antonio Spurs Outlook, Week One
- Nightmare in Nashville: Ravens Shutout Titans 21-0
- Vikings’ Defense Finding its Mojo Again
- Bills Lose Heartbreaking Game to Texans 20-13
- Nashville Closes Homestand with a Win