Chicago Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford won his first game since Dec. 17, 2017 as Chicago beat Columbus 4-1 Saturday.
Crawford made 37 saves, including 16 in the second period when Columbus made a big push. “It’s nice to see him play like that. That was vintage [Crawford],” Chicago coach Joel Quenneville told writer Craig Merz.
After beating Minnesota on Dec. 17 last year, Crawford suffered a severe concussion six days later against New Jersey and missed the rest of the season.
DeBrincat En Llamas
Alex DeBrincat continued his hot start, scoring the first goal of the game in the first period. The puck was on and off Brincat’s stick in a wink. The 20-year-old has 11 points (7G, 4A) in seven games. DeBrincat has scored in every game this season. Jonathan Toews six-game scoring streak ended, however.
Slick Patrick Kane led Chicago’s offense with two, third-period goals and an assist.
Marcus Kruger gave the Blackhawks a 2-1 lead at 7:43 into the third when Alexandre Fortin’s shot went off his skate.
Kane scored six minutes later and added an empty-netter.
During a four-on-four segment in the first, defensemen Zach Werenski tied the game at 1 for Columbus, and mused about opportunities lost: “We had a lot of Grade A chances we didn’t score on. They had a few chances and they did. That’s how the game goes.”
Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 22 shots for the Blue Jackets.
Latest From FPC on SportsCastr
- The Blackhawks (4-1-2) host Tampa Bay (4-1-1) today (Sunday) at 6 p.m. CDST. Tampa Bay, playing on the road for the first time this season, blew a lead at Minnesota Saturday and lost in overtime.
- The Blue Jackets (4-3) are off until Tuesday when Arizona (4-4) comes to town for a 6 p.m. CDST start.
- The Blackhawks were 0-for-3 on the power play, Columbus went 0-for-4.
- Brent Seabrook had two helpers for Chicago.
Cover Photo Credit: Aaron Roster, USA Today
Roger Dier covers the Chicago Blackhawks for Full Press Coverage. Follow Roger on Twitter @rogerdier.
- The NHL Is Set Up To Restart And Finish Its Season
- Potential Problem Areas In The New NHL CBA
- Teams Continue to Prepare for NHL Draft
- Flames Defenseman Hamonic the First to Forego the NHL’s Return
- 42-Year Old Datsyuk To Resume His Playing Career
Ep 39: Bruins' Legend Gerry Cheevers Joins the Showby Full Press Coverage on June 6, 2020 at 3:18 pm
Ian and Chris are joined by two-time Stanley Cup winning Bruins goaltender […]
Ep 37: Conversation with Bruins' Legend Johnny Bucykby Full Press Coverage on May 21, 2020 at 4:24 pm
"The Chief" Johnny Bucyk joins Ian and Chris to talk Bruins hockey, Gordie […]