The Arizona Cardinals are one of a handful of teams welcoming a new head coach. The National Football League allows for these teams to begin their offseason programs as of Monday, April 1st. However, the Cardinals have announced that they will postpone the start of their off-season training. Instead, Arizona will start their program on April 8th.
Why the Delay?
The reason for delaying the start of workouts and team activities is to avoid interruption. Per collective bargaining rules, any team beginning workouts on April 1st, must then take a week-long break mid-way through the offseason program. As a result, it is becoming commonplace for teams to holdout for a week to avoid the sudden break.
Rest of the Schedule
Below is the off-season schedule released by the Cardinals:
April 8: Off-season strength and conditioning program begins. Only strength and conditioning staff is allowed on the field. This lasts two weeks and is part of Phase 1.
April 23-25: Teams with new coaches get a voluntary veteran minicamp
April 29: Phase 2 begins and lasts three weeks. Position coaches work on individual drills while offense/defense work against dummies. Offense versus defense is not allowed during this time.
Latest Cardinals News
- Miami Dolphins: Top-Three 2020 Games
- Super Bowl is Arians’ Coaching Culmination
- Win and In: Cardinals Need Victory for Playoff Berth
- Boxing Day Beating: 49ers Overpower Cardinals
- Tailspin: Cardinals Drop Second Game in a Row
May 10-12: Mandatory rookie minicamp
May 20-22: Voluntary organized team activities, also known as OTAs, begin (Week 1). OTAs are voluntary.
May 29-31: OTAs Week 2
June 3-6: OTAs Week 3
June 11-13: Mandatory minicamp for the entire team
Latest NFL News
- Jacksonville Jaguars Eye Familiar Faces in Free Agency
- Saints Free Agency: Tight Ends
- Saints Free Agency: Offensive Line
- This Or That: Derrick Johnson Or Tamba Hali?
- Raiders Opinion: The Jackson Release Questions
After the mandatory minicamp, veterans head home to return for training camp. Rookies get additional time for meetings at the facility. However, there are no organized practices until training camp.