Don’t look now, but the Arizona Cardinals drafted another defensive back from the Pacific Northwest schools. During Wednesday’s NFL Supplemental Draft, the Cardinals selected defensive back Jalen Thompson, out of Washington State University.
Jalen Thompson goes to the Arizona Cardinals in the fifth round of the NFL supplemental draft.
Here's a preview of the Preseason 2020 NFL Draft Guide and what lead draft analyst @PFF_Mike thought of Thompson.
Preseason 2020 NFL Draft Guide drops August 12! pic.twitter.com/RnRNYFIl0P
— PFF (@PFF) July 10, 2019
What’s the Supplemental Draft?
The NFL’s supplemental draft is for players whose eligibility may have changed since April’s draft. Players must receive clearance from the NFL to be eligible.
The basic rules are as follows:
- Supplemental Draft features teams separated into three tiers
- First Tier: Six or fewer victories in previous season
- Second Tier: Seven or more victories in previous season, no playoff berth
- Third Tier: All playoff teams.
- Lottery is held for order, with best odds given to worst team (similar to NBA)
- Teams submit blind bids for players eligible for supplemental draft
- This consists of the round a team intends to select the player
- If a player receives multiple bids, highest bid (earliest round) is selected
- Winning team forfeits the corresponding pick in the following spring draft (i.e. Cardinals surrender a fifth round pick in 2020)
- Teams are not required to submit bids
Thompson played both cornerback and safety during his time with the Cougars. He primarily played as a slot cornerback, a role he filled in well. Thompson is a solid addition to a defense in need of as much talent as possible. Vance Joseph defenses thrive on athletic secondaries, especially with safeties who can cover and assist in the run game. Thomas fits that description, and could very well threaten for playing time.
At worst, the Cardinals surrendered a 2020 fifth round pick, for a versatile defensive back. At best, Arizona found another piece to throw alongside youngsters such as Byron Murphy and Budda Baker. Thompson definitely has the potential to be a major factor, time will tell if another Pullman product will pan out.
Click here for more Arizona Cardinals content!