The Tampa Bay Buccaneers were back in action at the NFL Draft on Friday night. After drafting Iowa tackle Tristan Wirfs with the 13th overall pick on Thursday, the Bucs add safety Antoine Winfield Jr. from Minnesota.
— Full Press Buccaneers (@FPC_Buccaneers) April 25, 2020
Latest Buccaneers News
- Pioli: The Moment Patriots Knew They Were On To “Something” In Tom Brady
- Quarterback Upheaval Continues In NFC South
- What Does a 17th Game Mean For The Buccaneers?
- Buccaneers Mock Draft 1.0: It’s Good To Be The Champs
- Donovan Smith Signs Extension; Suh Re-Ups For Another Year
Unfortunately for the Bucs, running backs Clyde Edwards-Helaire and D’Andre Swift were off the board by the time pick 45 came around. Fortunately for them, Winfield Jr. fell into their laps. If you recognized the name it’s because you have seen it on an NFL uniform already. Sans the Jr. part. Winfield Jr’s father, Antoine Winfield Sr., was a Pro Bowl defensive back for the Minnesota Vikings.
Winfield Jr. immediately injects talent into the Buccaneers secondary. A position group that is widely considered the weakest on the team. Winfield is an extremely versatile safety with an instinct for attacking the ball. Evident by his seven interceptions in 2019. In 30 games across four years at Minnesota, Winfield Jr. had nine interceptions, four sacks, and 172 total tackles.
Antoine Winfield Jr. at Minnesota