The Baltimore Ravens’ relationship with Earl Thomas has been a contentious one over the past few months. Tensions between Thomas and the Ravens finally came to a head over the weekend. The Ravens then released Thomas. An altercation between Thomas and a teammate is what led Baltimore to cut ties and release Thomas completely.
What is the next step for Thomas? After Seattle coach Pete Carroll and Baltimore coach John Harbaugh both give up on you, where do you look next? Every team could use a free safety the caliber of Thomas, but not the teams want to deal with a player that has had problems in the locker room. Examining the top contenders to land Thomas is now necessary.
One team that recently sent an all-pro safety to Seattle would have a need for a player with the talents of Thomas. The New York Jets have a hole at the safety position after Jamal Adams was traded to the Seahawks. The Jets’ defense is talented, and it would not be out of the realm of possibility for them to make an offer to Adams.
The second team that will likely be in the mix for Thomas is the Philadelphia Eagles. Philadelphia’s secondary was not impressive last season. Thomas coming into Philadelphia would help the Eagles’ secondary become more consistent for the 2020 season. The Eagles also have the needed salary cap room to at least sign Thomas for this season and work out a plan for future years if things go well.
Latest Cowboys News
- Closing Takeaways From The Buffalo Bills Final Preseason Game
- Three Takeaways From The Buffalo Bills Commanding Win In Preseason
- Josh Allen Joins The $40 Million Club, And It Makes Complete Sense
- Dear NFL, Don’t Even Think About Moving The Buffalo Bills
- Reminiscing On Colts’ Preseason Predictions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Secure Home Field
- Chiefs Opinion: Eric Berry Can Save Chiefs Defense
- Chiefs-Chargers Recap: Chargers Comeback, Stun Chiefs
- NFL Draft: Players to Watch in Saturday’s Bowl Games
- Chiefs-Ravens Recap: Resilient Rally In OT
- Chiefs-Ravens Preview: Something’s Got To Give
- FPC Buccaneers Round Table: Can Dirk Koetter Save His Job?
- Chiefs Sign Kelvin Benjamin
- Jacksonville Jaguars: Seven-Round 2019 Mock Draft
- Matchup Breakdown: Los Angeles Rams vs Detroit Lions
- Chiefs-Raiders Preview: Get Back On Track
- Chiefs-Rams Recap: Monday Night Madness
- Chiefs-Rams Preview: Game of the Year?
- Chiefs-Cardinals Preview: Take Care of the Birds
- Chiefs-Browns Recap: Cleveland Boys Takedown Browns
- Chiefs-Browns Preview: Take Care of Business
- Chiefs-Broncos Preview: Another Division Rivalry Sweep?
- Chiefs Week 7: Three Up, Two Down
- Three Up, Three Down- Chiefs-Patriots
- Chiefs-49ers Preview: The Home Opener Has Arrived
- Chiefs-Chargers Preview: Turning Out the Bolts
- Chiefs Defensive Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Packers
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Bears
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Falcons
- Chiefs Offensive Line: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Three Things to Watch For: Chiefs vs Texans
- Chiefs Tight Ends: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Wide Receivers: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs Running Backs: Projected 53 Man Roster
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Defense
- Chiefs 2018 Breakout Candidates: Offense
- 2018 Chiefs Draft Review: KC Addresses the Defense and Needs
- Our Newest Titan: Rashaan Evans
- 2018 Kansas City Chiefs Schedule
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Parry Nickerson
- Chiefs Draft Prospect: Dorance Armstrong Jr.
- Chiefs Complete More Signings
- Chiefs Officially Release Tamba Hali and Ron Parker
- Chiefs Ink Sammy Watkins and Anthony Hitchens
- NFL Free Agent Tracker (Live Updates)
- Chiefs Free Agent Targets: Backup Quarterback
- NHL Rumors: St. Louis Blues, Vegas Golden Knights, Vancouver Canucks
- Can the Commanders contend in 2023?
- Toronto Continues Dominant Offseason with Chad Green Signing
- Ep 142: Former Washington Quarterback And Super Bowl Champion Doug Williams Joins The Show
- The Andy Reid Bowl: Coach Faces Old Team, Reid’s Legacy
Meanwhile, the New England Patriots have had numerous players opt out of playing the 2020 season. Bill Belichick has not been afraid of taking a risk on a player that has caused problems in the locker room, just look at Randy Moss for example. If a player still has value on the field and is willing to cut the Patriots a deal contract wise, then Belichick will certainly attempt to sign the player. Earl Thomas fits that description accurately. Thomas’ skills have not diminished much on the field and the Patriots are in need of a player with his skill set in the secondary.
The final team that is a likely landing spot is the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas and Thomas have been tied together several times in the past. When Thomas was a free agent in 2019, Dallas was considered the prime target for the former member of the Legion of Boom. Dallas has upgraded the secondary this season drafting Trevon Diggs and signing Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix during the offseason. The Cowboys have made other moves with the additions of Aldon Smith and Dontari Poe, displaying that they have not been afraid to make a deal this offseason. You can bet that Jerry Jones and company are thinking things over.
Wherever Thomas goes, that team is going to get an extremely talented player. The team that adds him will need to figure out if his talent outweighs some drama in the locker room. Weighing the risk-reward will be key for the team that signs Thomas. Thomas is an instant upgrade to a secondary, and as long as his disruptions are minimal, he is most certainly worth adding for the 2020 season.
Ep 142: Former Washington Quarterback And Super Bowl Champion Doug Williams Joins The Showby Full Press Coverage on February 3, 2023 at 10:19 pm
Former Washington quarterback and Super Bowl champion Doug Williams joins […]
Ep 141: Andy Reid, Eagles, And Conference Championship Weekend w/ Joe Bannerby Full Press Coverage on January 27, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Clark and Ira are joined by former Eagles President Joe Banner to talk […]
Ep 136: Remembering The Longest Game Ever Played With Larry Littleby Full Press Coverage on December 24, 2022 at 1:09 am
On the 51-year anniversary of the longest game ever played (Chiefs vs. […]
Ep 135: Hall of Fame Semifinalist Jahri Evans Joins The Showby Full Press Coverage on December 16, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Former Saints guard and 2023 HOF Semifinalist Jahri Evans joins Clark and […]
Ep 134: Remember AFL/NFL Star John Hadl with Nick Canepaby Full Press Coverage on December 8, 2022 at 2:39 pm
Former Hall of Fame voter, Nick Canepa, joins Clark and Ira to discuss the […]
Ep 133: Hall Of Fame Semifinalist Henry Ellard Joins The Showby Full Press Coverage on November 30, 2022 at 4:28 pm
Former Rams and Redskins wide receiver, Henry Ellard, joins Clark and Ira […]
Ep 132: Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2023 Semifinalists w/ Rick Gosselinby Full Press Coverage on November 22, 2022 at 6:15 pm
Clark and Ira are joined by Pro Football Hall of Fame voter Rick Gosselin […]
Ep 131: 'Football Heaven' With PFHOF Senior Advisor Joe Horriganby Full Press Coverage on November 17, 2022 at 5:55 pm
Pro Football Hall of Fame Senior Advisor, Joe Horrigan, joins Clark and […]
Ep 130: Remembering John McVay With Hall of Famer Eddie DeBartolo Jr.by Full Press Coverage on November 13, 2022 at 1:42 am
Clark and Ira are joined by Hall of Fame owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr. to […]
(Episode 3.2) Offseason Talk with the "Command This!" Podcastby Full Press Coverage on February 1, 2023 at 3:04 am
George Carmi hosts Steve, Dev, and Phil as they discuss the Commanders […]
1/31 - Tom Brady and the 49ers, Aaron Rodgers Futureby Full Press Coverage on January 31, 2023 at 9:00 am
Ian and John discuss whether or not the 49ers loss in the NFC Championship […]
1/30 - Conference Championship Recap: Eagles, Chiefs Advanceby Full Press Coverage on January 30, 2023 at 10:35 am
Ian and John recap the Eagles and Chiefs victories on Conference […]
1/27 - Conference Championship Preview: Who is Going To The Super Bowl?by Full Press Coverage on January 27, 2023 at 9:50 am
Ian and John preview Conference Championship Weekend and give their picks […]
Boot 2 The Face Episode 210 "No Monè, No Monè, No Monè"by Boot 2 The Face on January 19, 2023 at 12:55 am
Rucker and EJ are back discussing Rucker going to Impacts Hard to Kill […]
1/6 - Damar Hamlin Update, Bills/Bengals, AFC Playoffs, Week 18 Picksby Full Press Coverage on January 6, 2023 at 3:11 pm
Winter Classic: Bruins Rally To Beat Penguins At Fenwayby Full Press Coverage on January 4, 2023 at 2:09 am
1/3 - Bills/Bengals Postponed; Bruins Topple Penguins In Winter Classicby Full Press Coverage on January 4, 2023 at 2:05 am
1/2 - Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Week 17, Bills/Bengalsby Full Press Coverage on January 3, 2023 at 3:22 am
12/30 - New Year's Eve, Luka Doncic, NBA Talk, Week 17 Preview and Picksby Full Press Coverage on January 1, 2023 at 2:29 am
Aaron Rodgers, Packers Win Third Straight; Playoffs In Sightby Full Press Coverage on December 27, 2022 at 7:36 pm